A Handbook of Medicinal Plants (A Complete Source Book), is the first book of its kind. The book describes more than 1346 medicinal plants found in the world. The book includes vernacular names, description, distribution, part use, utilization, active principles, agronomic practices and colour plates (about 870 photographs).
Separate chapters on organic farming, biofertilizers and biopesticides uses for sustainable cultivation of medicinal plants tips for medicinal plants cultivation and meltitire agriculture systems of medicinal plants have been presented.
The book also includes complete addresses (including E-mail addresses) of research institutes and agencies, NGOs, importers and exporters, traders and commission agents, growers, seeds and planting materials suppliers, medicinal gardens, books, analytical testing facilities, market news services, important web sites of the world. Glossary of various terms used and common names of medicinal plants in different languages have been appended
- I. Medicinal plants: an overview:
- Medicinal plants: an overview
- History of medicinal plants: a world scenario
- Medicinal plants and human system
- Classification, identification and naming of medicinal plants
- Cultivation of medicinal plants: an eco-friendly approach
- Diseases of medicinal plants
- Pests and pest management in medicinal plants
- Harvest technology and value addition of medicinal plants
- Conservation strategies of medicinal plants
- Economic aspects of medicinal plants
- II. Medicinal plants - A to Z
- III. Medicinal plants - colour atlas
- IV. Medicinal plants - resources:
- Educational institutes
- Research institutions
- Analytical and testing facilities
- Herberia and medicinal gardens
- Foreign buyers
- Non Government Organisations (NGO’s)
- Growers / seeds / planting material suppliers
- Traders and commission agents
- Important World Wide Websites
- List of books and periodicals. Index: common names of medicinal plants in different languages (for section II).
About the Author:
Arun K. Sharma is a graduate from G.B. Pant University of Agric, & Tech., Pantnagar and presenlty working as Socientist at Central Arid Zone Research Institute, Jodhpur. He has worked on rainwater conservation. he has development of self-sustainable farming systems for the drylands. he has written two internationally known books namely, a Handbook of Organic Farming and Biofertilizers for Sustainable Agriculture (published by Agrobios (India), Johdhpur.
Dr. S.S. Purohit (b. July, 1948) obtained M.Sc. (Gold Medal) and Ph.D. in Botany from Udaipur University, Udaipur. He was guest scientist in various foreign universities. He has 30 years of teaching experience of UG and PG students specially Plant Physiology and Biotechnology. He has guided 12 M. Phil and 5 Ph.D. students. He is a well known author of 30 nooks of national and international repute. He has edited an International series entitled: Hormonal Regulation of Plant Growth and Development in Six Volumes and two Volumes have been reprinted by W. Junk Publishers, Holland. Presently he is the Managing Director of Agrobios (India) and Chief Editor Agrobios News Letter.
Mr. N.D. Prajapati is a person, who is dedicated to medicinal plants. He is basically a farmer and cultivating various types of medicinal plants in different parts of Rajasthan and neighboring states. Total area under cultivation is approximate 10,000 acres and 50,000 acres with the collaboration of other farmers. Mr Prajapati is not only cultivating medicinal plants but also motivating other farmers for cultivation of medicinal plants. He also developed the agro technologies of various medicinal plants. He delivered the lecturers in different training institutes all over the country. Mr. Prajapati is well known author in medicinal plants sector. "A Handbook of Medicinal Plants" is one of the most popular book written by him. He is a founder member of National Medicinal Plants Board, AYUSH, (Govt. of India) New Delhi. He is a founder trustee of "Asian Medicinal Plants and Health Care Trust".
Tarun Kumar (b. June 1980) with his bright carrier did B.Bc. (J.N. Vyas University, Jodhpur) and M.Sc. (Medicinal Plants) from Gujarat Ayurvedic University, Jamnagar. He is a guest faculty member of various institutions. He has written more than 50 general and scientific articles on Medicinal Plants. He has participated in several National/International conferences.