Gerontology is an ancient science! Since time immemorial Man has sought ways and means to conquer death; because, he is immortal. There is an innate urge in him to express that immortality, and to experience that immortality here and now. The Isavasya Upanishad enjoins upon man the duty to try to live for a hundred years, performing right actions.
The Rishis had in their forest-research-laboratories discovered various methods of prolonging life-Pranayama, Asanas like Sirshasana and Sarvangasana, prayer, Havan, certain herbs, and Kaya Kalpa. They discovered that those living beings which breathed slowly, with less number of breaths per minute, lived longer, and that suspension of breathing led to hibernation and prolongation of life! They prescribed Pranayama for long life.
How to live 100 years? Plain living and high thinking is the answer. The question and answer both consist of five words only; but it is very difficult to practice. Simple and plain things appear so in the beginning are very hard for practice. The tendency of man is always towards high living and low thinking. A man becomes as he thinks. A sound mind in a sound body. If the thinking is sound, body remains sound. Evil thoughts exert a very bad influence on body of self and others also. They do harm to the thinker and the thought; so we should preserve ourselves form evil thoughts and always cherish noble thoughts.
Table of Contents:
- Publisher’s Note
- Introductory Notes
- The Rigvedic Prayer for a Long Life
- Isa Upanishad on Hundred Years of Life
- Maha Mrityunjaya mantra for Long Life
- Surya Stotram of Longevity
- Every Morning dose for Hundred Years Life
- Surya Namaskar for a Hundred Year Life
- Rishi Chyavana, Ashwini Kumaras and the Preparation of Youth hood
- A Herbal Preparation for Long Life
- Hundred Years as Man’s Normal Duration of Life
- Why Grow Old?
- A Call to Abundant Energy and Long Life
- Yogic Way of Increasing the Span of Life
- Vedantic Methods for a Hundred Year Life
- Lengthening Life by Brahmacharya
- Character-building for Longevity
- Spiritual Therapeutics for Longevity
- Shadow-gazing for Longevity
- Exercises for Arresting Old Age
- Yogic Secret of Conquering Death
- How to Become a Centenarian?
- Some Secrets of Longevity
- A Prescription for the Perfection of the Body
- Longevity and Transformation of Body in Indian Medicine
- Forms of Kalpa Treatment
- The Rejuvenation Techniues of Hindu Rishis
- Yoga and Rejuvenation through Kaya-kalpa
- Rejuvenation through Milk Treatment
- Neem Treatment for a Hundred Year Life
- Butter-milk Treatment for a Hundred Year Life
- Brahmi Treatment for Hundred Years’ Life
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Hundred Years’ Life
- Naturopathic Secrets of Hundred Years Living
- The Attainment of Longevity
- Increase the Duration of Life
- Longevity Possible for Blood-pressure Patients
- A Sure Remedy for Becoming a Centenarian
- A Healthy Life of Hundred Years
- Radiant Health through Yoga
- Man Can Live Forever
- Is There a Long-life Secret
- Protection of the Aura and Attaining Long Life
- Life of Some of the Centenarians
- Longevity in Vedas.
About the Author:
Sri Swami Sivananda , born on the 8th September, 1887, in the illustrious family of Sage Appayya Dikshita and several other renowned saints and savants, Sri swami Sivananda had a natural flair for a life devoted to the study and practice of Vedanta.
He was an inborn eagerness to serve all and an innate feeling of unity with all mankind. He is the author of over 300 volumes and has disciples all over the world, belonging to all nationalities, religions and creeds. To read his works is to drink at the Fountain of Wisdom Supreme. On 14th July, 163 he entered Mahasamadhi.