The dictionary targets the terms used in classical Ayurvedic texts. The words have been arranged alphabetically and definitions discussed on modern parameters. Sanskrit/Ayurvedic names of the medicinal plants used in Ayurveda along with botanical names and pharmacological role have been dealt with. Keeping in mind the importance of mineral and metallic preparations, they have discussed along with therapeutics. Drugs derived from animal source have been included. As far as names diseases are concerned, Ayurvedic names and their meanings in modern sciences have been described.
According to World Health Organization, Traditional Medicine is the sum total of knowledge, skills, and practices based on the theories, beliefs, and experiences indigenous to different cultures used in the maintenance of health as well as in prevention, diagnosis, improvement or treatment of physical and mental illness. Keeping in mind the interdisciplinary nature of Traditional System, terms used in Herbal System of medicine have been included.
Table of Contents:
- Part I : Terms Used in Ayurvedic System of Medicine
- Part II : Terms Used in Herbal System of Medicine
- Part III : Terms Used in Ayurvedic/Herbal Drug Chemistry
- Alphabetical List of Medicinal Herbs used in Ayurveda
- List of Powders prepared from Medicinal Herbs used in Ayurveda
- List of Standardized Extracts prepared from Ayurvedic Herbs
- List of Phytochemicals reported from Medicinal Herbs used in Ayurveda.
About the Author:
Amrit Pal Singh received a Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS) degree from Dayanand Ayurvedic College, Jalandhar and postgraduate degree in Alternative Medicines, Calcutta. He was involved in clinical trails against Psoriasis, Leucoderma and Diabetes mellitus with herbal extracts in the Ayurvedic Wing of Sohana Eye Institute, Mohali. He worked as a Medical Executive in Super Speciality Division, Ind-Swift Ltd, Chandigarh. At present, he is running an Ayurvedic Clinic and Herbal Documentation Centre in Mohali.