This book is mostly based on a careful study of authentic contemporary books on magic like Mantra Mahodadhi and Mantra Maharnav. The author tries to give a historical background to the subjects.
The religious practices enshrined with beliefs and superstitions also form a part of it. Though the book has been written with special reference to Rajasthan, it covers a much larger sphere and context.
Table of Contents:
- Part I - Magic
- Origin and Main Elements of Magical Beliefs and Superstitions in World
- Magical Beliefs and Superstitions in India
- A General Survey of Magical Beliefs and Superstitions in Rajasthan
- Magical Beliefs and Superstitions in the Scholastic and Popular Religions of Rajasthan
- Magical Beliefs and Superstitions Relating to Deified Persons
- Part II - Magical Beliefs and Superstitions as Practised in India
- Magicians and sorcerers
- Atharvans-White or Defensive Magic
- The Angiras, Black or Offensive Magic
- Amulets and Kavachas
- Magical Diagrams
- Superstitions Regarding Omens and Dreams
About the Author:
Dr.Beni Gupta has been working in Education Department of Rajasthan since 1945-Lecturer (1945-1967), Senior Lecturer (1967-70), Vice Principal (1971-72), Principal (1972-75), Post-Graduate Head (1975-78), Principal 1978 a position which she still holds. She is guiding Research to 3 scholars in Rajasthan History at the University of Rajasthan, Jaipur. Dr Gupta obtained her PhD Degree from the University of Rajasthan, Jaipur 1963 and was awarded the much coveted Degree of D Litt from the same University in 1978.
The author's two precious work A History of the Religious in Rajasthan (600-1200 A D) and the Maratha Penetration in Rajasthan (1682-1818) are in the Press and will be released very shortly. She has written more than 20 research papers on Rajasthan History, which was published in various Research Journals. At present she is assisting Dr M L Sharma, MA, DLitt a renowned Professor of Rajasthan in writing A History of National Awakening in Rajasthan.