This book of its kind is being published in India for the first time. Here we have a book for those who are interested in the critical appreciation of the problems relating to conservation and preservation of monuments and antiquities including the entire World Heritage. It encompasses in itself a vast vista of visions visualizing the entire gamut of conservation and preservation required for the safeguard of the World Cultural Heritage including minor antiquities housed in museums and varied collections.
On the one hand, the articles published deal with the scientific techniques like aerial photography and Ground magnetic in digital image processing, etc. It also touches the conservation of excavated remains along with preservation objects of fragile material like paper wood, etc. Some of the articles delved deep in analyzing the cause and effect of inherent deterioration and decay of varied monuments and pollutions thereof.
The Book does not confine itself only with the conservation problems of Indian monument, it has taken stock of problems confronting the monuments of other countries like Greece, Egypt, etc. Here, therefore, is an outstanding collection of articles dealing with multifarious international problems the World Heritage faces.
Table of Contents:
- Eeditor's Note
- Section 1 - Scientific Investigations for Archaeological Remains
- Aerial and Magnetic Prospection of an Eleventh to Thirteenth Century Motte in Bavaria-J.W.E.Fassbinder, W.E.Irlinger
- Combination of Aerial-Photography with Ground-Magnetics in Digital Image Processing Technique-Helmut Becker
- From Nanotesla to Picotesla- A New Window for Magnetic Prospecting in Archaeology-Helmut Becker
- Magnetostratigraphy of The Neogene Surai Khola Siwaliks in West-Nepal : Preliminary Results-
- Occurrence of Bacterial Magnetite in Soils From Archaeological Sites - Jorg W.E.Fabbinder, Helge Stanjek
- Section 2 - Technical Investigations
- Purpose of Surveying and Drawing in Excavation and Conservation work in Archaeological Survey of India-Jasmer Singh Vinod Kumar
- Technical Inspection Report of Victoria Memoria Hall, Calcutta-R.C.Mishra
- Weathering and Conservation of North German Terra-cotta-Programme and First Results-Sven Wallasch
- Application of Salt Crystallisation Test to Impregnated Stones-Hannelore Marschner
- Qutb Archaeological Area : Towards Integral Study on Conservation of World Heritage Site-B.R.Mani
- Determination of Physical Parameters of Stone, their Effect and Role in the Preservation of Monuments-R.P.Singh
- Section 3 - Conservation of Museum and Excavated Remains
- Conservation and Preservation of Old Goa Museum and its Antiquities-K.V.Rao
- A Unique Conservation of Archaeological Excavated Site of Agroha in Harayana-Phanikanta Mishra
- Conservation of Excavated Stupa At Sanghol in Punjab-R.Krishnaoah
- Systematic of Investigations on Wooden Constructions-Reiner Klopfer
- Conservation/Preservation of Wooden Objects and Monuments-Rajani Mishra
- Preservation of Ancient Wood in Historical Buildings by Chemical Treatment-Anuredha Sharma
- Study,Examination and Analysis of Three Indoportuguese Ivory Christs of The Eighteenth Century-Maria Da Conceicao Ribeira
- Section 4 - Conservation of Ancient Monuments
- Restoration of Rani-Ki-Vav-Hari Manjhi & S.V.P.Halakatti
- Reconstruction of Ancient Temple of Kurdi Angod V.Gopala Rao
- Short History of Lakshadveep With Some Proposals of Conservation of its Historical Antiquirian Remains and Monuments-S.P.Mukerjee
- Renovation and Restoration of the Ancient Monuments-G.T.Shendey
- Restoration of Some Important Wall Paintings in India-Specific Problems and Measures-R.K.Sharma & H.O.Gupta
- The Chephren`s Pryamid in Giza-Giorgio Croci
- The Tilla Kari Madrasah in Samarkand-Giorgio Croci
- The Colosseum in Rome-Giorgio Croci .
About the Author:
Professor P.K. Mishra serves Professor of History, Sambalpur University, Orissa during 1978 to 1997. He has to his credit several publications, viz Political History of Orissa, Madhusudan Das, the Legislator, His Speeches, Evolution of Orissa and Her Culture, Archaeology of Mayurbhanj and Comprehensive History and Culture of Orissa. He has edited volumes like Heritage of India, Past and Present, and Aspects of Indian History and Historiography. He was President of the Orissa History Congress, and is working as a Senior Fellow of the Indian Council of Historical Research.