The aim and object of this little volume is to serve not only the professional medical men in India but also the non-professional educated public in general; and this object is sought to be attained by rendering the book useful to both these classes in the following ways:-
To the medical profession:-
- By introducing to them the therapeutical properties of the numerous remedial drugs and agents.
- By placing before them the value and composition of several dietetic articles, such as fruits, vegetables, grains, etc.
- By stimulating in them a desire for keeping ready the pharmacological preparations of important Indian drugs made.
To the educated public in general:-
- By initiating them into a knowledge of the medicinal uses and applications of of indigenous drugs and remedies.
- By placing before them the nature, composition and the preparations of several select remedies belonging to the Ancient Ayurvedic system.
The index of diseases and remedies given at the end has been prepared with the special purpose of helping the reader to track out once the particular remedies for the particular aliment; and, under their respective headings, he can readily find out the methods of their application which, when employed with ordinary care and intelligence, will never fail to do good in most cases.